Re: MAILER_DAEMON Golf Ball Spam

1998-02-06 03:59:53
At 09:08 PM 2/5/98 -0700, Felix Tilley wrote:
got past my procmail 3.10 recipe unless procmail is treating MAILER_DAEMON

Only if you're using rules to route those messages before filtering for spam.

It will not exist ever again.

And what gives you this idea?  Once a domain has been soiled, nobody will
ever re-register it, or locate to new digs?

The t-1net was forged by the "Ballman", Dana
Jones in Texas, a former customer of t-1net.

And current owner of golfballsusa.com, among others (see below).

And here are the headers for the spam.  What did I do wrong?  This is a
potential major problem if the spammers can use MAILER_DAEMON to get
through the procmail filters.

I'm not having any troubles ditching this stuff.  Use of MAILER_DAEMON
probably has a LOT more to do with suckering people into opening the
message to read it, though as someone else here pointed out, it could very
well be a workaround to some sendmail anti-spam rules.

 BTW:  I can't resolve 209.136.153.210, nor
can I traceroute it.  It may be forged, or the spammer domain may have been
terminated.

You didn't look very hard:  the 209.136.153 netblock is currently held by
"Golfballs Unlimited" (sound familiar - oh, heck, that's what they're
advertising in the spam, ain't it?)

        GOLFBALLSUNLIMITEDUSA.COM
        GOLFBALLSUSA.COM
        NOTFALSE.COM

Networking provided by our favourite provider-scum: AGIS.NET

All they have to do is get a netblock and assign their spam server a
rotating IP address in that block - after the spam is sent and people try
to ping the originating server, they can't and assume the address is forged
- and if that is the case, why block the address, right?

Spammers seem to think the world is populated with morons.  If they're
staying in business, there's apparently a sufficient number of morons to
make a living off of.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395