Re: Lockfiles

1998-02-06 06:14:26
Thu 98-02-05 Kay Hayen <Kay(_at_)kayhayen(_dot_)com> list.procmail

| :0: /my_absolute_path/lockfile
| just in order to know where it is?!

If that matters to outside world, yes, prefer using the explicit
lockfile name and you know where it is. I assume that we canb derive
the lockfilename name from the recipe, like

    :0:
    mbox

The lockfile would reside in

    $MAILDIR/mbox.$LOCKEXT

Or then I haven't yet understood the creation of lockfiles :-)

All in all, I would'n care to guess or derive the name, I'd stick
explicit lockfilename there. Did you say you need to do this externally?
Here is how you would use lockfiles from shell:

[13.13 'killfiles' pm-tips.txt]

        Recipe will drop the message (i.e. consider it 'delivered') if one
        of its headers matches a pattern in killfile.

            :0 hW:  $HOME/.killfile.lock
            | egrep -f -i $HOME/.killfile

        The reason why there is explicit lockfile is that you must
        be able to update the killfile while your procmail is
        running. An example edit script is presented below.

            #!/bin/sh
            # program: killfile.sh
            #
            file=$HOME/.killfile
            lock=$file.lock
            lockfile  $lock
            emacs -q $file          # or use whatever you prefer: vi, pico
            rm -f $lock

| And do you gurus have setups to watch for not-removed lock
| files or how do you handle cases where lock files might
| just not vanish for for longer times.

David or Phil certainly will have trick or two in their bags.
I'd be suprised if you got into situation where lockfile doesn't
go away after sec or two, All the magic is supposed to be handled
by procmail itself.

jari