extracting after +: clarification

1998-02-11 05:37:41
There seems to be some potential confusion about a current thread regarding
how a user can process the suffix when mail comes for
logname+suffix(_at_)dom(_dot_)ain(_dot_)

Some of Timothy Luoma's and my posts to that thread have included code for
extracting the parameter from the visible headers when it is not in $1.

Edward Sabol pointed out that the original question about using suffixes came
from Chris Mason, who specified having a recent version of sendmail and also
having procmail as the LDA; thus Mason has the information in $1 and should
just get it from there.

Sabol is quite right, of course.  The visible headers are certainly second-
best as a source and should be used only when the LDA has not passed the
information in any other way.

The extraction routines that Luoma and I have included are tangential to
Mason's original question and are not intended as an answer for it.  I trust
that that clears the matter up.