Re: On mirroring procmail: bayview-mlist-procmail(_at_)bayview(_dot_)com

1998-02-14 20:10:36

In absense of a single leader, a consensus should at least be
sought from the regular participants, otherwise anarchy becomes
the rule of the land...

If I want to setup a list2news server, I will.... I will try to set it up as
best I can.

I think your objections were on target.... and your tone was overdone.

You were asking someone to change their setup, and it came across demanding...

The last I saw SRB on this list was on 08 Aug, when he posted a reply to
Era about interest in someone taking over maintenance of the
procmail-request (subscription) duties.

That's 6 months ago... the list was put in place but Stephen has not given
us any sort of access to the server, despite repeated emails.

And as I mentioned above, a consensus could have been obtained.

No need for a consensus, an announcement and a correct configuration would
be enough...

I don't specifically or even vaguely recall any messages about distributing
the list load to sub-lists - and if it were to be done, it seems that it
should be an organized effort, involving at least people being notified
that it is happening.

Maybe I am mistaken... I don't feel like looking through 10,560 procmail
messages to try and find the reference.

It does, however, make a lot of sense to setup a gateway if you have a lot
of users on the same mailing lists.  I do know this has been done before
especially with procmail.  If it is done correctly you wouldn't even know...

What would have happened if the mirror tripped a spam autoresponder?

I don't think this is a "mirror" I think it is a gateway.

One email is sent to bayview.com and it gets put to the news spool.

Again, this was a minor matter that was reacted to a little too strongly.  I
think a private email would have been much more appropriate than dragging
this to the list.... if he had said "No I won't change it blow it out your
ear" then you could have passed that along to the group.  Did you even try to
get in touch with him personally before blasting him publically on the list?

I think he has said now that he will change his config.

TjL

--
"It takes real courage to be a Macintosh user; it takes real
conviction; not unlike being a Christian in the days of the Romans."