Re: Dealing with spam/UBE (summary)

1998-02-25 16:14:54

Mailing lists:

This is the challenge I'm most interested in addressing now.

Beyond the rather obvious MAILER_DAEMON switch (that regex is pretty easy
to understand, I think it's in man procmailrc), you could make it twice as
effective by making it easier for the mailing lists to identify *you* in
case you screw up.

In other words, if your cookie were sent From:
pauls_mail_filter(_at_)oakland(_dot_)edu (which is trivial with formail), and
the
pauls_mail_filter(_at_)oakland(_dot_)edu does not even have to exist in
actuality, and
no mailing list server worth a damn will propogate your message because it
smells like a reply from a daemon.

There will always be the problem of list servers that are not in fact worth
a damn, but it is some comfort that you're only going to auto-reply once
and then stop trying, killing them instead.

You were only going to try once, right? 8)

--Ken
           68 Westy, Admin -- type2 -- The VW Bus Mailing List