Permissions for procmail

1998-03-01 12:52:38
Hi,
    I was wondering if there was a way to make the permissions on the mail file
be 0600.   It seems that procmail by default sets the value of group ownership
mail and permissions to 0660.  I would like to change this if possible.
Thanks,

era eriksson wrote:

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 10:54:37 -0500 (EST), Paul Smith
<psmith(_at_)Oakland(_dot_)edu> wrote:
 > ("psmith+`date`", here I come..  just kidding).

(No joke, some people are putting this to good use.)

 > There's a nifty concept... "one time addresses" (like one time passwords).
 > Post with it and then throw it away... Not terribly practical, though.

(Another novel concept is Lucent's Personalized Web Assistant
<http://lpwa.com:8000> and then of course there are those "can't be
spammed" address forwarding services such as www.savemail.com or
www.junkproof.com.)

 >> I don't follow - you're going to subscribe with the alias, but continue to
 >> try to post using the non-alias?  Some lists won't LET you post if the
 >> address isn't on the subscription list.
 > Not exactly.  Era has cleared this up for me recently.  You basically
 > subcribe both addresses to the list (the original and the aliased), but
 > you ask the maintainer to set the subscription of your original address to
 > "post-only".  Then you just make sure to only post from your original
 > address.

(Thanks for formulating this more succinctly than I could :-)

 > That way you only get one copy of list traffic, and hopefully your
 > aliased address appears somewhere in the header allowing you to segregate
 > it from all direct, non-list traffic (which would include off-line replies
<...>
 >> If your mail server adds "for psmith" in the received line, then you have
 >> way.  You're boffed though when multiple people at the same domain get
list
 >> mail - the MTA doesn't add it then.
 > So far it I appear to be the only one, since I do see the "for psmith..."
 > in the recevied lines.  But it worries me that one day that might suddenly
 > disappear from the headers because someone else at my ISP signs up.  In
 > that case, my filter would start autoresponding to list traffic before I
 > noticed and shut it off.

If you already have an alias set up for you, you can have all list
mail directed to the alias and let it have its own procmailrc.
Make its DEFAULT mailbox be a "spillover list messages" mailbox and
let it handle all your mailing list filtering. That way, you don't
have to rely on Received: lines. And like I said in private, if
Procmail is your LDA, you can have the "plussed" part handed over to
Procmail for 100% safe delivery, totally obviating the need for you to
separately figure out each and every list you subscribe to.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>

--
Stathy Touloumis - Partner/Owner JASKE.COM 'innovative I/net'
    JASKE.COM - 3555 W. Peterson Ave. Chicago  IL  60659