Re: Recap, AFS and Procmail

1998-03-09 15:02:16
I've viewed some of the archived posts concerning AFS and procmail,
but each seems to have a different perspective on the subject.

Besides the fact that AFS isn't the greatest product in the world,
does everyone agree that it is not possible to use procmail when
your $HOME lies in an AFS cell?  Mail sent locally seems to work
with procmail, but mail from users w/o a token or AFS id just
gets delivered to /var/spool/mail/someone.

Hi Steve,

   AFS is awesome!  You just have to treat it nicely.  :)

   The only viable solution that we've been able to come up with
   involves patching the procmail-3.11pre7 sources to "fake" user
   home directories out of another directory.

   For example, my home directory in AFS is

      /afs/ncsa.uiuc.edu/.u1/lindsey/

   It is kept as such on the mail server in /etc/passwd as well.  However,
   we have some space set up via NFS in /var/forward with space for each
   individual user (so /var/forward/lindsey in my case).

   The procmail patch intercepts requests for the user's home directory
   and replaces it with the "fake" directory (the /var/forward one).
   So for all practical purposes, procmail things that my home directory
   is /var/forward/lindsey, and everything works fine.

Chris