Interesting spam pattern

1998-03-10 23:20:02
I was just looking through a large mailbox I have, and I sorted by
address so that I could clean it out. I'm having problems with
sendmail dumping messages into roots mailbox instead of the correct
user, and I wanted to actually get rid of all the Mailer Daemon
stuff real fast.

Anyways, what I noticed after I did the sort was that almost all
of the spam ended up right near the top of the list. Why? Cuz my
when my mail program shows the address, it'll show the real name
before the address, with the real name in quotes. If there is no
real name, it just shows the address.

So after the sort, all the messages that don't have a real name
provided ended up at the top. And of course, it was only spam that
didn't have a real name.

So, now I'm wondering what a rule to check to see if there's a
comment part in the From: header, in addition to the email address,
would look like. :-)

---
Chris Osborn                            FozzTexx Enterprises
707 226 7629 - Voice                    2136 Coronado Ave.
707 253 3063 - Fax                      Napa, CA 94559
<fozztexx(_at_)fozztexx(_dot_)com>           <http://www.fozztexx.com/>