SUMMARY: using formail to do mass delivery

1998-03-17 12:53:18
Just wanted to thank those who responded to my cry for help regarding
using formail to automate delivery of several hundred messages sitting in
the 'spamcan' undeservedly.

... and to summarize the suggestions:

Cherry A. Summers (cherry(_at_)vii(_dot_)com) wrote:

haven't done it before myself, but perhaps you mean something like:
cat filename | formail -s /usr/lib/sendmail -t

or whatever is correct for your system (formail -s splits it, sendmail
attempts to mail each item...). I tested it on a tiny file (only two
messages, both To: me) and it seemed to work. You may get some weird
errors tho if some messages are non-standard.

From era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi>:

How do you know which ones to send and which ones to deliver?

formail -s command < mailboxfile

where command might be e.g. procmail with an appropriate rc file.

And finally, someone else wrote (sorry, I lost his name):
cat filename | formail -s /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -t
(BTW, what does the 'oi gain me?)

I came up with the first solution about ten minutes after posting
yesterday, tried it on a small inbox, And then let it fly. Seems to
have worked reasonably well, although the From (not From:) lines of
the delivered mail contained *my* email address... bound to be con-
fusing to some of the recipients :(

And in response to era's question...
("How do you know which ones to send and which ones to deliver?")
At the risk of being incredibly naive...
        the To: line?

Thanks to all. What a nasty thing for spamcan to do...

Regards, J.

| J. Davis                    | email: jd(_at_)uwo(_dot_)ca               |
| SysMgr, research programmer | voice: (519) 646 6100 x4166    |
| Lawson Research Institute   | fax:   (519) 646 6135          |
| London, Ontario             | www.stjosephs.london.on.ca/~jd |

and now... Deep Thought #13, by Jack Handy

If they ever come up with a swashbuckling School, I think one of the
courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.