Re: Pipe to cat somehow ruins previous recipe?? I'm lost.

1998-03-23 22:34:56

| cat reply.txt

The cat command only
passes through it's stdin if you tell it to, by giving it the argument
"-":

      :0 wfha
      | cat - reply.txt

Ah. Thank you. That did it.

Also, how could I have cat expand the variable in the text?

      | cat -; perl -pe 's:\$(\w+):${$1}:eg' reply.txt

      | perl -pe 'BEGIN{while(<STDIN>){print}} s:\$(\w+):${$1}:eg' reply.txt

Okay...could somebody tell me where to put the var in? Just the one
already-extracted var REPLYTO. I tried these both as they sit and by
putting {$REPLYTO} where {$1} occurs above. Either way this sentence
becomes the one following:

[This message was posted by a non-subscriber. Please reply to the
original author, $REPLYTO.]

[This message was posted by a non-subscriber. Please reply to the
original author, .]

Gratefully,

--Ken
  68 Westy, Admin --type2-- The Volkswagen Bus Mailing List