Sender's address in a forwarding recipe

1998-04-13 18:49:15
I'm hoping someone here can help a procmail newbie with a problem.  :-)

I have procmail on our web server at Pair Networks, and I've been using it
quite successfully with various recipies, some forwarding, others
autoresponding, and others posting themselves to various websites of mine.
One mail recipe is giving me a problem, though.  It is a standard recipe to
forward mail from a domain on the web server to a Novell Groupwise user.
Somehow, the original sender's name is being obliterated; instead, the mail
address that is associated with our Pair web account is being sent
(account(_at_)ourserver(_dot_)pair(_dot_)com), and Groupwise is picking THAT up
as the
return address, instead of the original sender.

What I'm trying to do is create a recipe that either replaces the incorrect
address with the original sender's, and/or inject a "Reply-To:" header to
try to force Groupwise to reply to the correct address.

I assume that 'formail' would be the best way to do this, and/or use a
switch for the sendmail command.  But I have NO idea about the syntax of
this, or how to actually get the sender's name into the forwarded mail
(using some kind of switch or variable??).

I've tried forwarding from two different e-mail accounts of mine.  The
"From:" address is always correct, but through one ISP, the "Return-Path:"
header shows "account(_at_)ourserver(_dot_)pair(_dot_)com", while the other ISP
has this
address appearing in a "Sender:" header.  Neither one has a "Reply-To:"
header.  I have no idea why Groupwise is picking up a header OTHER THAN the
"From:" header as the reply address.  Very annoying, but I need to get it
fixed.

Here's an "idea" at this point--please keep in mind that my syntax and any
of the switches could be WAY off here...

In the example, the user on my web account is "person(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com".
 This
forwards to "person(_at_)groupwiseuser(_dot_)com".

:0
* ^TOperson(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
* !^FROM_MAILER
|(formail -r -t \
   -I"From: <original sender's name/address here> " \
   -I"Return-Path: <ditto> " \
   -I"Sender: <ditto> " \
   -A"Reply-To: <ditto> " \
   -A"X-Loop: person(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com";) \
    | $SENDMAIL -t -f "<original sender's e-mail here again??>" -oi
person(_at_)groupwiseuser(_dot_)com

I would greatly appreciate any help for this little nagging problem of mine!

      -= Neil =-
     rudy(_at_)csi(_dot_)com