procmail as MDA explodes?

1998-04-20 09:57:39
The machine is FreeBSD-2.2.6, and sendmail.cf has been modified
to use procmail 3.11p7 as an MDA.

There is a user here who gets some rather large e-mails. Sometimes
they are 6 or 7 MB. procmail's reaction to these is to consume
all of the available swap space on the system and die horribly.
And, of course, because the mail didn't get delivered properly,
it will get deferred and the event will recur at the next queueing
interval.

The only cure I have found is to put binmail back in as the
MDA.

Is this a known problem? If so, does anyone know the fix?

I mean, for a 7 MB e-mail to consume over 64MB of virtual memory
is a bit extreme...