Re: Dates of files

1998-04-25 15:09:56
And thus spake Andrew Vardy, on Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 05:12:12PM -0230:
I wonder about the Unix method of date stamping.

It gives a date of last access when you do ls -al

But, I wonder if UNIX keeps a creation date stamp.  Date and time stamp of
file's creation.  Thought it might be helpful if it did.

The only times you can access are:
     st_atime    Time when file data was last accessed.  This can
                 also  be  set explicitly by utimes(2).  st_atime
                 is not updated for directories  searched  during
                 pathname resolution.

     st_mtime    Time when file data was last modified.  This can
                 also  be set explicitly by utimes(2).  It is not
                 set by changes of owner, group, link  count,  or
                 mode.

     st_ctime    Time when file status was last  changed.  It  is
                 set  both  both by writing and changing the file
                 status information, such as  changes  of  owner,
                 group, link count, or mode.

Some filesystems may choose to save creation times, but it's implementation
defined, and there's no portable way of finding them.

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl at nyx.net>That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord at cosanostra.net>   And with strange aeons even death may die.