new to procmail - bugs? problems

1998-06-05 10:16:30
I am using : procmail v3.10 1994/10/3 on RedHat Linux 5.x

Ok this is driving me crazy.  I am receiving email at my university
account and my .forward forwards it to my ISP account where I am
popping it with Netscape (mail is put in $HOME/Mail/Inbox)

I have the following environment variables set: (env | grep MAIL)
        MAILDIR=/export/home/rsimmons/Mail
        ORGMAIL=/export/home/rsimmons/Mail/Inbox

Notice that there are no trailing slases.

I have the the following entry in .procmailrc
(This entry will work)

        :0
        * ^To(_dot_)*port-i386(_at_)NetBSD(_dot_)ORG
        NetBSD.sbd/port-i386

I have also tried this entry (and get the same unsatisfying results):
        :0
        * ^To(_dot_)*port-i386(_at_)NetBSD(_dot_)ORG
        NetBSD\.sbd/port-i386

I am running procmail from the command line using the lines
found in "man procmail"

The following directorys exist:
        /export/home/rsimmons/Mail/NetBSD.sbd

I get the following error when running the script:
        procmail: Error while writing to "NetBSD.sbd/port-i386"

I get one of these messages for every entry in my Inbox so I know
that the rule in procmailrc is working correctly as I have it above.

The problem seems to be that procmail is not looking in MAILDIR for
the "NetBSD.sbd" directory.  If I mkdir $HOME/NetBSD.sbd then things
get written to there.  Is there a bug in procmail that it does not look
for files in MAILDIR?

Also after running the script the file /export/home/rsimmons/Mail/Inbox
is zeroed out (empty) and all non sorted mail is moved to
/var/spool/mail/rsimmons.
I do not want it moved to there I just want Inbox to remain intact.  Why
is it moving
my mail?  I have read the FAQ's and man pages and everything else and
cannot figure
this out.

Here is the script that I am running:
 if cd $HOME &&
    test -s $ORGMAIL &&
    lockfile -r0 -l3600 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
 then
        trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 15
        umask 077
        lockfile -l3600 -ml