Procmail as distribution-list

1998-06-14 13:30:35
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 16:46:11 +0100, "Inge Balswick"<IBA(_at_)statoil(_dot_)com>
wrote:
I want to do three things with using this Procmail application:
1) Send a reply to all (every time) who sends mail to the
   address, by returning a message file.
2) Forward all mail to more than 125 users
3) Be able to (if neccessary) drop mail from certain users

Get a real mailing list manager? SmartList should do all of this
nicely.

Is there a limit, or how to build the distribusjon.list (file
containing all adresses) correctly???

Well, yes, there is a limit. Unices in general restrict how much the
kernel will accept as arguments to the exec family of system calls,
and you can't easily exceed that. (The constant is called ARG_MAX if
memory serves, and POSIX says it must be at least 4096 bytes. SunOS
has something like a megabyte.)

/bin/sh: -AX-Loop: ingeb(_at_)powertech(_dot_)no: command not found

Yeah, you have an error in the formail call, too.

procmail: Excessive output quenched from "cat"

This means cat produced more than could be handled, yes.

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
 * Ooops, I still haven't remembered to update this .sig. Yowza.