Obscure procmail oddities

1998-07-16 16:42:48
According to "procmail -v" my ISP is running procmail
v3.11pre4 1995/10/29.  Here are a couple of esoteric items
I've run into.  I don't know if these have anything to do
with my ISP's setup, but I haven't seen them in any man
pages...

1) INCLUDERC command is case-sensitive.  includerc is *NOT*
   the same as INCLUDERC.  I.e. the line...
   includerc=filename
   ..sets a var named "includerc" to a value "filename".  It
   does *NOT* call "filename" like INCLUDERC does.  I didn't
   test this out, but I wonder if other keywords like
   LINEBUF, LOGFILE, DEFAULT, etc, are also case-sensitive.

2) The special variable $$ returns the process ID of the
   current procmail instance.  E.g...
   LOGFILE=LOG.$$
   ...opens a logfile with root "LOG" and an extension that
   equals the PID, e.g. "LOG.22074"
   If this works for everyone, it would be very useful in
   situations where an instance of procmail needs to have a
   unique scratch filename, or simply a unique "anything".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com> procmail spamfilter
http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm