Re: More quoting issues affecting MIME header exploits

1998-08-01 15:55:36
On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Liviu Daia wrote:

On 1 August 1998, John D. Hardin <jhardin(_at_)wolfenet(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, John D. Hardin wrote:

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAexploit-code-starts-here"

would be syntactically valid but would bypass my filters. I have
modified html-trap.procmail to append a close quote on the first
line, but it does NOT clean up the remaining lines.

Okay, html-trap.procmail will now clean up the extra lines in the
above example.

I couldn't find any explicit list of acceptable MIME headers in
reading through RFC2045, just mention that headers beginning with
"Content-" have meaning to MIME. Therefore I decided to prepend
"X-Comment:" to the continuation lines to clean them up. If anyone
knows that this won't work, drop me a line right away.
[...]

    For quoted strings you have to close the quotes first, otherwise
some mailers might still shot themselves in the foot looking for the
matching end quotes.

I do. That was the *easy* part.

For the same reason, you should also take care of
terminating quoted-printable stuff (although this one will probably be a
PITA).

Ick. I'm not intimately familiar with how quoted-unreadable works, so
making it cleanly handle that will be a while yet.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ
jhardin(_at_)wolfenet(_dot_)com