Re: procmail bug(?)

1998-08-31 12:48:14
Maynard Brandt wrote,

| Here is my .procmailrc file:
| --------------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------

[ some comments, some variable assignments, ending with this: ]

| INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists

| I started using procmail v3.11pre7 1997/04/28 in the last month and it has
| worked fine until today when the following appeared in my .procmail/log file:

|  From null(_at_)remove-list(_dot_)com  Mon Aug 31 07:31:54 1998
|   Subject: Remove-list Support
|    Folder: /dev/null                                                    2118

| There is nothing in my $PMDIR/rc.maillists that should have sent that to
| /dev/null.  Is there anything in procmail that would have triggered that
| destination?

No, but there are more places to look.

Does something set DEFAULT to /dev/null?  Is there an /etc/procmailrc that
might set DEFAULT to /dev/null (bad idea, but possible)?  Are you using
the -p option in invoking procmail or setting DEFAULT=/dev/null on procmail's
command line?

Does $PMDIR/rc.maillists set DEFAULT to /dev/null?  Does it call any other
INCLUDERCs in turn, which might have a recipe dumping such mail to
/dev/null or setting DEFAULT to /dev/null?  Are you, for example, using
INCLUDERC to read some spam-fighting recipes that another person wrote?

Finally, are there any more recipes in .procmailrc after the excerpt you
posted, which ended where $PMDIR/rc.maillists is called as an INCLUDERC?
Maybe something there dumps mail to /dev/null.

This sounds like a situation where a verbose logfile would be of more help
than the logabstract alone.