Re: Re-Writing Headers

1998-09-03 10:32:32
Chris Keladis asked,

| I am fairly new to procmail, though i have configured it and it works happily
| with sendmail 8.9.1a as the local MDA.

| I have found in certain e-mail headers, an empty Reply-To line (ie Reply-To:
| <>) causes M$ browsers to crash with "out of memory errors".. I was wondering
| if i could make procmail go through the headers and if it finds an empty
| Reply-To line, fill it in with the From: field or something..

Since procmail is the local MDA, it will read any recipes in /etc/procmailrc
before looking at (or even looking for) the recipient's .procmailrc.  I've
no experience with that setup, so the rest of this is a guess (main thing I
don't know is whether it's necessary to set DROPPRIVS explicity; I should
think it isn't but it can't hurt).

  :0fwh
  * ^Reply-To:(\>)*$
  | formail -I Reply-To:

It isn't necessary to fill in a new Reply-To: address from the From: header,
because removing the Reply-To: header will have the same effect (replies will
be directed to the From: address when there is no Reply-To:).