Re: seeing suffix if not LDA

1998-09-05 21:56:05
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Now, it is my understanding that procmail, invoked from ~/.forward, has no
way to tell whether the envelope recipient was user, user+foo, user+bar,
user+, user+-+, or whatever.

Is that incorrect, I hope?

Nope, that's the case. There are ways around this, but they all involve
hacks to sendmail.cf (in the case of sendmail); what I've done in the past
is export this information via environment variables to the LDA (such as
the remote IP address).

QMail solves this in an extremely elegant manner: .forward becomes
obsolete, replaced with .qmail-ext files (where "ext" is the extension you
want). It also places "Delivered-To:" headers in each message for easy
parsing.

VMailer also solves this with the "Delivered-To:" header.

Sendmail is badly broken in this regard; you may have the same problem
with SMail.

If this -is- sendmail you're dealing with, check on comp.mail.sendmail;
they may have some unique solutions for you. This definitely isn't a
procmail-specific problem...you'd run into this with any LDA or filtering
software.

--
Edward S. Marshall  `-----------------------'   http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

   Linux labyrinth 2.1.117 #2 SMP Thu Aug 20 21:20:49 CDT 1998 i586 unknown
       11:45pm up 6 days, 10:01, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00