Re: A note about sending procmail spam filter snippets to the list

1998-09-08 03:44:46
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:58:41 -0400,
Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net> wrote:
At 09:03 AM 8/29/98 +0300, Liviu Daia wrote:
On 28 August 1998, Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net>
wrote:
At 07:45 AM 8/28/98 -0700, John D. Hardin wrote:
If you're going to send a spam-filter snippet to the list, try to
avoid attaching it as plain text. Certain key strings (such as the
"*ull's *ye *old" in the recent example) may trigger filters.
Huh?  Just white-list this (and any other subscribed) mailing list
before filtering on subject or content.  That's easy and I believe
has been suggested numerous times as a necessity for any reasonable
content-based spam detector.
You must be joking, this list is the only one through which I still
receive spam.
Sorry, I do not see the purported joke.  While the issue of whether this
list should require subscription to post has been beaten to death (actually,
I think requiring non-subscribers to confirm the post with an OK would
do it since most spam is unreplyable), how much of the spam that made it
onto this list had the list address in the To: or Cc: header?

All of it, lately. (I think. Stephen said he set up a filter for
non-^TO_-the-list mail last May or so.)

Still, simple content filtering on a mailing list where sources for
content filtering code can reasonably be expected to be posted is not
very smart (unless you do manage to do it very smartly :-)

/* era */

--
Bot Bait: It shouldn't even matter whether  (`')  Just  (`')  http://www.iki
I am a resident of the State of Washington   \/ Married! \/   .fi/~era/