Re: Processing outgoing mails

1998-09-27 10:46:44
Can I process user's outgoing mail?
For example:

I need to save a copy of sent mails from some users.
Is it posible with sendmail??

I think the solution in the archives and the FAQ recommend wrapping
the sendmail binary on your machines.  Then when the MUA invokes sendmail,
it's actually invoking a script that pumps the message through procmail
*AND* sendmail.

Of course, this design is flawed if you connect directly to the SMTP
port for some reason or other (i.e. POP) or if other sites use you as
their "Smart" host.

A better solution is what I've done in the past -- patch deliver.c in
sendmail.  You'll want to make some checks to make sure that the mail
originated from certain domains, but in essence you're just adding a
local address to the recipient list.  That address can be an actual user
account or an alias that opens a pipe to procmail.

Chris