Re: Bounced mail

1998-09-28 16:11:23
Robin Fundinger <fundinger(_at_)is-fun(_dot_)com> writes:
thank you for your answer. I agree with you for this example. I did not
expect a philosophical answer, I expected a technical solution :-)
Therefore my example was not very good to reflect the real application.
Monica and Bill are the same person. The aim is to forward the mails to an
external account. Monica is neither a hostmaster of the server nor a
postmaster, she even doesn't use her pop-account on the server . She is just
a user of a virtual domain "lewinsky.com" on this server.

Nevertheless I agree with you not to bounce the mails back to the sender but
I am not really sure what to do with the bounced mails. Monica doesn't
really get it because she does not read her POP on the server, she is only
reading the "bill"-Account on the house.gov-server. The mail perhaps should
be forwarded to the system administrator, but he has too much mails to
answer anyway :-)

The person who can change the forwarding address should become the
envelope sender.  If the sysadmin is the one who setup the procmailrc,
then he or she should be the one to receive bounce message.  Done
correctly, he or she should be able to filter them into a dedicated
folder so that he or she can process them in bursts (which they will
probably come in).

For example, let's say that email sent to the address
"bouncee(_at_)v-domain-server(_dot_)com" will come to the notice of the
sysadmin.
Then, the recipies that handle the virtual domain addresses would add a
"-f bouncee(_at_)v-domain-server(_dot_)com" to the action line:

    :0
    * (^TO|for)(_dot_)*monica(_at_)lewinsky(_dot_)com
    ! -f bouncee(_at_)v-domain-server(_dot_)com billy(_at_)house(_dot_)gov

Sorry, we should stop the discussion, I fear we are too off-topic.

This all seems on topic to me.

Philip Guenther