Re: suffix after $MSGPREFIX

1998-10-09 16:37:09
On a save to a plain directory (not MH, not Maildir), how does procmail
determine what to put after $MSGPREFIX to complete the name of the file?

Looking at mailfold.c, it looks like it's a representation of the
inode number that the file is stored at.  It essentially converts the
number into a string made of characters within the set [A-Za-z0-9-_].

This brings up an issue that I had wondered about though...  What does procmail
do in this mode if the file already exists for a given inode?  For example,
if a directory was restored from tape, the names would no longer correspond
with the right inode number.

In some quick tests it looks as though procmail replaces the original file
with a new one containing the same name.  I'm not an MH user, so I don't know
what the ramifications are.

Chris