Re: Forwarding?

1998-10-16 07:31:02
1998-10-16-10:05:47 Eric, Audet:
What will happen if the message has an attachement? (I guess I could try
it) But is this program really forward the exact message to the list of
addrs.txt?

Definitely you should try it.

As I wrote it, the forwarder is really primitive; it doesn't rewrite any of
the headers at all. Attachments are unchanged, as are sender and recipient;
only the "envelope" (the actual recipients, specified as arguments to
sendmail) gets updated.

_Everything_ is left intact. Received headers documenting the route the email
took to get to your relay, everything.

But whether the way this works is what you want is something you will want to
look at after testing.

One thing you should most certainly add is loop detection; it's a bad idea to
leave that out of any automated email forwarding solution. There are loads of
procmail recipes illustrating that; the general idea is to check for some
special header --- by convention "X-Loop: my-address" --- and if that header
is present, stop; if that header is missing then add it and continue
processing. formail(1) is the procmail tool for adding headers.

-Bennett