Re: responding to UBE messages

1998-11-03 09:57:03
On 3 Nov 1998 jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com wrote:

|Mon 1998-11-02 "P.M Foster" <pfoster(_at_)aracnet(_dot_)net> list.procmail
| How do I set up an autoresponder?  I want to autorespond to abuse mail,
| I've uploaded the abuse.txt file, but the recipe is giving me a lot of
| problems.

Autoresponder is bad idea. You need better heuristics than what procmail
can do.

I gave up long ago on sending back "remove" requests.  Now I simply force
procmail to exit with an error when it detects probable spam.  This means
that the spammer gets a "permanent" delivery failure -- if a message is
sent, it's sent by sendmail as a daemon message with a null return-path,
so it can't bounce back again.  This has actually been quite effective in
getting my name off spam lists, if the number of spam-rejections logged by
procmail is any indication; it has been steadily decreasing.

Of course, I also save a copy of most of the messages and check through
that mailbox occasionally to be sure my filter is accurate, so that I can
respond manually to any mail I might really have wanted to see.