Re: Smartlist/Posting to 2 Lists Simultaneously

1998-11-04 21:27:27
"Alan V. Shackelford" <alan_s(_at_)shaknet(_dot_)clark(_dot_)net> writes:
I have an unusual "list server" set up on my ISP for a high school news
forum. We don't have root on the ISP, so we couldn't mess with the aliases
file. We are using procmail/Smartlist to accomplish our goals in a strange
way. Our .procmailrc looks like this:

LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail/log

:0
* ^From:(_dot_)*rivhillregister(_at_)lawlab(_dot_)com
{
   :0fw
   | /homeh/hawks/slist/.bin/flist hawkslist
local

Very simply put, this file tells procmail to push the mail into the
smartlist, or not, depending on who the mail is from. Now, we want to
digest this list for a few subscribers who are bothered by the volume. Can
I just add ",digestname" after the listname in each of the lines above and
expect it to push the mails in two directions at once? If not, what would
be a suitable way to accomplish this? Thanks for your help.

First off, you almost certainly don't want the 'f' flag on any of those
recipes.  flist shouldn't be outputing anything, so you end up with a
bogus empty message in the "local" mailbox.  Why did you add the 'f' flag?

Just adding ",digestname" won't work.  flist expects a single list name
on its command line.  The solution is to call flist twice with two
recipes, the first of which has the 'c' flag.

        :0
        * ^From:(_dot_)*rivhillregister(_at_)lawlab(_dot_)com
        {
            :0 wc
            | /homeh/hawks/slist/.bin/flist hawkslist
            :0 w
            | /homeh/hawks/slist/.bin/flist hawkslist-digest
        }

Philip Guenther