procmail, hypermail problem

1998-11-18 16:09:58

hi,

i originally sent this to the hypermail list, but im beginning to think its
got more to do with procmail and locking. again, thanks for any help.

3.11pre7, and fetchmail 4.6.5. we have one address that is subscribed to each
list that we want archived, list-archiver. we have a user on the web server
box use fetchmail to pop that users mail every five minutes or so and directly
send it to procmail using fetchmail's mda option.

once procmail comes into play, the messages is matched against a procmail
rule, and piped to hypermail where it finds its final resting place. the whole
setup seems to work great. this is a sample procmailrc for one rule for a fake
list:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
TOP=/path/to/listarchive
HM="/usr/local/bin/hypermail -c ~/.hypermailrc -iu -l"
AINFO="-b http://some.domain.com/listarchive";
DATE=`date +'%m.%y'`

:0
* ^TO_(_dot_)*mylist(_at_)(_dot_)*
{
        # make sure the list directory exists or create it
        DUMMY=`test -d $TOP/mylist || mkdir $TOP/mylist`

        # make sure the date directory exists or create it
        DUMMY=`test -d $TOP/mylist/$DATE || mkdir $TOP/mylist/$DATE`

        # copy the message, piping it to hypermail
        :0 cw
        | $HM "mylist" -d $TOP/mylist/$DATE  $AINFO

        # save a copy in mbox format, too
        :0:
        mylist-$DATE

anyway, this all seems to work, like i said. the problem, however, is that it
seems that once in a while, hypermail doesn't finish its job, and i end up
with a bunch of running hypermail processes, sometimes driving the load up
quite high on the machine. i have about 12 lists being archived right now, and
none of them are incredibly high traffic. i havent been able to reproduce the
problem intentionally.

my guess is that its a locking problem somewhere along the chain, but im not
sure where. it could very well have nothing to do with hypermail and be a
procmail thing, too, but i figured i would cover all bases.

for reference, here are the stats:

Solaris 2.6
hypermail 2.0b3
procmail 3.11pre7
fetchmail 4.6.5

any help and insight is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

josh

--
                        - josh rotenberg -
        - josh(_at_)parasite(_dot_)com          josh(_at_)cp(_dot_)net -