RE: IMAP/dmail question

1998-12-05 06:00:45
-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Benko [mailto:kevin(_at_)efn(_dot_)org]
Sent: 04 December 1998 17:36
To: procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de
Subject: IMAP/dmail question

I've tried asking the support people on my ISP this very same
question, but the one individual who did respond to me was...
vacuous....

I'm having some difficulty executing "dmail"
[I'm just testing dmail before I _do_ anything with it]

My understanding, from the "man" entry, is that dmail should allow me
to [re]process e-mail through procmail.  I need to know the manner in
which I can do this, as it is not currently working the way it is
described.

Am I executing "dmail" incorrectly?
If so, then what is the proper syntax for executing "dmail"?
Looking in the "man" entry, I have concluded that:

                             "dmail -D < mailtest.000"

is a valid syntax for executing "dmail".

Yes, that's right...I've been using dmail on one type of IMAP box on
my main mail account just like that for ages, and just tried it on
a Linux box that uses the Washington Uni server.

But I get the below-included error messages:

// begin included typescript

[/home/members/k/kevin] dmail -D < mailtest.000
delivering to kevin+INBOX
attempting to create mailbox #driver.unix/INBOX path /usr/spool/mail/kevin
Can't create mailbox node /usr/spool/mail/kevin: Permission denied
can't create INBOX

// end included typescript

Hmm, that seems a bit odd, I'd suggest that perhaps dmail needs suid,
but my version doesn't so that's not it....

One thing I can suggest is that you make sure you have accessed your
IMAP account at least once, because once you've accessed it once with
IMAP the "INBOX" gets a "special" message that contains IMAP info....
perhaps dmail can't handle an INBOX without that special message...

One other thing, once (or if) you get dmail working to your "INBOX"
you'll need to create a directory in your $HOME say ".Mail" and
then in an IMAP mail client, create some folders.  To get dmail to
deliver to these folders you do something like:

dmail +.Mail/Folder < mail.message

John.