Auto-reply system from the aliases file

1999-01-04 14:50:56
Hi,

I figured that the best way to run an auto-reply system, at least once you
get many many addresses, is from the aliases file and not from a dedicated
account on the system.

Why? well, let's say I have numerous domains on my system, two of them
want an auto-response on info(_at_)domain(_dot_)com and a third wants that
forwarded
to somebody. So, using virtual user tables in sendmail, I can do it --
and I can filter for domains in procmail. But wouldn't it just be easier,
and actually hit more of the messages, if I just did it in the aliases?

Of course it would be, because via procmail I can still lose out if
info(_at_)domain(_dot_)com doesn't appear in the TO or CC headers of the
message.

My question, how do I do it? What do I place in the aliases file to run
procmail with the designated recipe file and what's essential in that
recipe file? (I could stick any global variables in /etc/procmailrc, so
that's not so bad, and otherwise I could just include a standard
configuration file)

Thanks for the help!

--
Brock Rozen