Re: URL for unsubscribing here

1999-01-06 11:07:27
At 10:34 06-01-99 -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Sean Straw wrote,

| background for the test message: I'm considering making a simple web-based
| unsub interface for the procmail list -- a place to direct people to go
| when they want to unsub and can't cope with email properly.

Won't
<mailto:procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de?Subject=quit>
do
the job?

Didn't know that quit was a valid unsub command, but yea, with whatever
token there.  This would work except in the following two cases: when the
user has changed services or in any way has a different mail address, and
when they're using a browser/mailer that doesn't support the Subject
portion (many don't).

Procmail-request leeches onto the FROM address of the posted request, so
you apparently can't post from some other account to unsub.  I assisted
someone yesterday with an unsub (that TEST message everyone got -- his
company was bought by another company, and they changed email addresses --
but his IS department took over the mail server and set up autoresponses on
all the accounts on the old domain to report that the address was changed -
apparently some posters to procmail were getting these autoreplies from
him), and realized that the process of forging an SMTP message, while
fairly trivial, is still more work than should be necessary in order to
eliminate an old address - particularily if you have to try several forms.

Fortunatley, procmail-request does properly use reply-to headers, so you
can direct the status of the request to another address.

After my appology message, I note that apparently procmail doesn't accept
messages posted by procmail-request, even though the carbons I recieved
indicated they'd been sent here.  News to me, but that's a good thing.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395