Re: Automating Mail receipt on Linux

1999-01-07 22:28:47
I got your E-Mail address from the MAN page for PROCMAIL under LINUX
5.1.  I have an application where I would like to receive E-Mail from
various sites and process it automatically via a script for the purpose
of extracting data.  Is PROCMAIL and FORMAIL the tools I would use for
this?

Possibly.  It all depends on what you need to do.  If all mail is going to
go through this script then you might as well pump the mail directly into
it via a sendmail alias or a .forward file.

On the other hand, procmail can be really useful if you need to run different
scripts depending on certain conditions.  You can put these conditions into
your script, but there will be a point at which your code will become so
bloated that you'll be better off using procmail.

If so, do you know where I can find sample code?

I would start with the procmail FAQ.  There are links to the archives and
other Web resources, as well as (of course) frequently asked questions, common
errors, etc:

   http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/

If you do go with procmail you should upgrade to 3.11pre7.  RedHat 5.1 (not
Linux 5.1 -- I think you're running Linux 2.0.34 or something) comes with
procmail 3.10 by default.  There is a link at the URL mentioned above.

Chris