Re: How to defer processing a message?

1999-01-18 23:46:38
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com> writes:
I have a procmail script that's used to send data to a service that
might or might not be able to accept it when the mail comes in. If
it's not ready, I want the piece of e-mail to go back into the mail
queue and be tried again later.

Basically, I want to be able to run a process (call it "svc-avail"),
and if it returns a status of 0, go ahead and do something. If not,
return to sendmail an error of 75 (TMPFAIL) so it requeues and gets
retried later.

Can someone point me to a code fragment that does something like
this? Mine almost works -- except that instead of requeuing, the
message is disappearing into limbo. not good...

        :0
        * ! ? svc-avail
        {   # service isn't available!
            EXITCODE = 75       # 75 = EX_TEMPFAIL
            HOST                # Give up processing here and now
        }

Philip Guenther