Removing attachments with certain file extensions

1999-02-15 06:12:24
Hi,

I've been asked to look into removing attachments with certain file extensions
- mainly the obvious .EXE, .COM, etc. This is due to the amount of trojan
horse executables floating around the place.

I'm sorry if this is a commonly asked/answered question but after a look
through the sendmail, procmail and mime FAQ's I couldn't find an answer.

I guess the first question is - is this a job for procmail? Can it be done
reliably?

Our mail gateway simply accepts mail and forwards to an internal server, I
figured the best place for this filtering to occur would be on this gateway
itself (BSD UNIX-based).

Please reply directly as I am not subscribed to the list - I will summarise if
appropriate (ie not already answered somewhere else)

cheers,
Dale

--
Dale Shaw                :   ,-----.                              :
Dale(_dot_)Shaw(_at_)select(_dot_)com(_dot_)au  :  :  (`  | e l e c t   A p p r