PROCMAIL filtering possibilities

1999-02-28 16:15:45
Dear everybody,

I am new on this list and I was wondering whether the following
would be possible and practical, using PROCMAIL in conjunction
with a mailing list program like SMARTLIST:

    I have a mail message, containing in the body let's say three
    paragraphs p1, p2 and p3.

    On the other hand, I have four subscribers on my mailinglist.
    Smartlist stores the subscriber's e-mail in a file called .dist.

    With respect to the message mentioned above, I now that not
    all subscribers are interested in its entire content. F.e.
    suscriber one is only interested in p1 and p3, suscriber two in
    p2,  number three in p2 and p3 and suscriber four only in p3.

    The specific interests of each of the subscribers could be
    stored in the same .dist file, as I know that  Smartlist allows
    you to place additional comments after the subscriber e-mail in
    the .dist file. Referring to the example above, my .dist would
    look like this:

    subscriber(_dot_)one(_at_)sipromicro(_dot_)com (p1+p3)
    subscriber(_dot_)two(_at_)forexample(_dot_)org (p2)
    subscriber(_dot_)three(_at_)whatever(_dot_)net (p2+p3)
    subscriber(_dot_)four(_at_)abc(_dot_)com (p3)

Then I come to my question: would PROCMAIL be able to process
and filter my standard message for the mailing list in such a way
that each subscriber would receive a specific message, containing
only the paragraphs of his or her interest?

If yes, please give me some hints how to do this.

If not, what alternatives are available?

I hope I made the problem clear to you.

I would really appreciate your help and advice. Thanking you
advance, I send my very best regards,

-brt

Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
Correo electronico: hiddink(_at_)sipromicro(_dot_)com
Sitio: www.sipromicro.com
Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847