Re: [newbie] Is procmailed called?

1999-03-09 22:02:20
Rejo <rejo(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl> writes:
I'm a one month newbie with Linux. I'm running Sendmail 8.8.8 and
Procmail 3.11p7. I have tried to set up a test procmailrc in order to
filter some messages and put them into a different mailbox for the user.
## mails from mailinglists should be put in /home/rejo/ml

:0
* ^TOpunkrock-nl(_at_)onelist(_dot_)com
* ^TOspam-killer(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl
ml

Conditions are ANDed, not ORed.  As a result, the above will file into
the 'ml' folder only those messages which are to both the punkrock-nl
and spam-killer mailing lists (hmm, interesting combination).

You almost certainly should change the above to:

        :0
        *
^TO_(punkrock-nl(_at_)onelist(_dot_)com|spam-killer(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl)
        ml

Furthermore, if the 'ml' folder is a simple file (and not a directory
folder), the you should tell procmail to use a locallockfile by putting
a second colon on that first line (the spaces don't matter):

        :0 :
        *
^TO_(punkrock-nl(_at_)onelist(_dot_)com|spam-killer(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl)
        ml

I want to have procmail called as soon as the mail arrived, and i think
this could be done in sendmail.cf. But, when i have a look at that file
i guess sendmail is told where to find procmail etc, but sendmail is not
told when to start using it. Am i correct? These are the only n lines
with procmail in it:
Mlocal,        P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=10/30, R=20/40,
              T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
              A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

That's all it takes.  If you look elsewhere in the sendmail.cf you'll
see references the $#local which cause messages to be sent to the above
local mailer.

I'm not sure, but is sendmail told to start procmail? And if so, why
does it ignore /etc/procmailrc or /home/rejo/.procmailrc?

How do you know it is?  Have you assigned to LOGFILE in either of
them?  Put
        LOGFILE = /var/log/procmail.log

then send some messages and see what shows up there.

Philip Guenther