procmail Efficiency Question

1999-03-23 11:51:54

        I just started using procmail, after several tries and I could come
up good rc file,
        which offers almost whatever I wanted to do.

        I will be deploying this on production and will have considerable
mailing volume
            say about 500/day

         Following is the recipe and my questions. Appreciate replies on
questions and any tips
        from  procmail experts, which will improve efficiency of mail
distribution.

                Please send replies to my email address below.
                Thanks in advance,

:0:
* ^Subject:*.monalisa
* !^Subject:*.RE:           # ignore any replies
* !^FROM_DAEMON             # ignore mail from mailer daemons
* !^From:*.ess              # not the self mail
* !$SENDER ?? $LIST_SENDERS # one of the valid senders
| (formail -A"Bcc: internal_list" \
           -I"To: ess_mailing_list" \
           -I"From: ess(_at_)nyamdweb246(_dot_)gsam(_dot_)gs(_dot_)com" \
           -i"Subject: monalisa REPORTS " ) >> monalisa_mails.`date
'+%H%M%S'`

:0:
* ^Subject:*.davinci
* !^FROM_DAEMON             # ignore mail from mailer daemons
* !^From:*.ess              # not the self mail
* !$SENDER ?? $LIST_SENDERS # one of the valid senders
| (formail -A"Bcc: internal_list" \
           -I"To: ess_mailing_list" \
           -I"From: ess(_at_)nyamdweb246(_dot_)gsam(_dot_)gs(_dot_)com" \
           -i"Subject: DAVINCI REPORTS " ) >> davinci_mails.`date '+%H%M%S'`

Q 1: Will it be a better idea to trap the Arguments as SUBJECT = `formail
-zx Subject`
        dynamically and pass that in heading field i.e. in place of
         -i"Subject: DAVINCI REPORTS "  use  -i"Subject: $SUBJECT_reports "
?
       Initially I thought of these, but there will'be several mails -
locking a single file
       did not looked to me a good idea.

Q2. I also wanted to move first line of body to subject field in
Japanese(Kanchi) text.
      I could do using English text. But for Japanese character - outlook in
box mail
     coming as -

        Subject:
=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCJTQhPCVrJUklXiVzISYlNSVDJS8lOUVqPy4bKEogGyhK?=
                =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCNHA9YDJBM1sbKEo=?=

        which when I forwarded, showed some junk character.

                - Tapas

Tapas Banerjee
tapas(_dot_)banerjee(_at_)gs(_dot_)com