Re: Global mail filtering turned off after latest version installed

1999-04-07 11:12:01
I didn't know that that there WAS a predefined constant called ETCRC,
because when I first installed I installed a precompiled binary from
the FreeBSD ports collection. But the ports for the 2.2.8 version of the
OS are not being maintained, so to upgrade procmail I had to do my
own compile.

I went ahead and changed ETCRC (in config.h) and BASEDIR (in the
Makefile) and did a compile from a fresh copy of the tarball.
It compiled OK, except for an odd message which claimed that the
standard Berkeley make was "really perverted." (Why, I wonder?)

In any event -- and here's the weird part -- installing the version
compiled in this way worked. Perhaps it has to do with the default
permissions on /etc.

It might be a good idea to detect a BSD-based system and set BASEDIR and ETCRC
to /usr/local/whatever automatically. Maybe this is something worth adding to
the
Makefile. I don't know if /etc/procmailrcs should also follow, but it seems
reasonable for it to do so.

--Brett