Re: Procmail experiments -- good methods

1999-05-16 11:42:41
On 16 May 1999, era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> wrote:
[...]
Actually I was under the impression that MH didn't use From_ lines at
all, but since I don't use MH myself, this should definitely be taken
with a grain of salt.

    Well, I never used MH myself, but I remember reading a (longish)
thread on this topic at the time I was working as a developer of a
certain MUA.  The conclusion was:

- some MH utilities add a From_ line;
- some others don't add it;
- some utilities will escape any From_ line they find, but otherwise
  ignore it;
- some others will leave any From_ lines alone;
- you can have more than one From_ lines in MH messages, escaped or not;
- if there is a From_ line, it's not necessarily at the beginning of the
  header.

    Basically, a complete madhouse.

[...]
I think there's usually two spaces before the date stamp. On my
system, date %c returns a date string with a time zone indicator,
whereas the From_ lines lack the time zone part.
[...]

    True.  However, please note, on a related topic, that the time zone
of the date in the From_ line is not consistent across various MTAs:
most of them are using the local time zone, QMail (that is, the utility
that comes with it that writes messages to mbox folders) is using UTC.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu(_dot_)Daia(_at_)imar(_dot_)ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia