Re: rejecting large emails

1999-05-17 19:30:33
Within your MTA you can typically limit message size.  I know for a fact
that both Postfix and sendmail have this ability.

Replying to message of Mon, 17 May 1999 10:13:44 -0500 (CDT)
      from Mark Shaw <mshaw(_at_)dal(_dot_)asp(_dot_)ti(_dot_)com>
      regarding ``rejecting large emails''

- Examine the total number of lines in a message (text
plus attachments), and forward it to /dev/null if that
number exceeds some limit I set.  If I can use bytes
instead of lines, that'd probably be better....

Bad idea.

You never know when someone will send you a file you do want.

Filter it to a mailbox, clean it out periodically.

Diskspace is cheap for pity's sake.... a lost email that you really wanted
is much more difficult to replace.

A bigger problem for me is that procmail sucks serious CPU on really large
emails and causes problems on our mail server.

TjL