command line mail

1999-05-19 05:14:13
I may be stretching to post this here as it is only indirectly related
to procmail.  Where procmail comes in is when these messages are
recieved but first I'm having trouble getting them sent.  Below is a
post from  "comp.mail.misc".  I hope some of the "mail" experts here
will know how to do this.

[posted to comp.mail.misc]
NOTE:
Single user dialup to ISP  setup
Running Redhat Linux 5.2
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93

Anyone here know how to set a "From: " address in "Berkely Mail"
client? Instead of letting it get built from ENV settings?

Certain scripts call 'root' to post messages onto the Internet.  These
messages go into the ether, never to be seen again.  The "root" env
settings probably causing this, but I do have sendmail set to
"Masquerade" the domain of my mail provider (newsguy.com), use my ISP
SMTP server, and to "Masquerade the envelope". (no problems for
regular user account)

A related problem is how to get a look at the final headers my local
sendmail is sending (for root).  Since the mail (to myself) never appears, I
haven't found a way to see what is being sent, other than trapping a
message in /var/spool/mqueue  by going offline and sending.  These
headers are not final (I don't think) and  are in a coded format.

My regular user account has no problems sending with "Berkely mail" so
am assuming I have sendmail setup well enough to not be bounced on
reverse lookups or whatever.

The mail man pages give no clue as how to set headers.