Re: Trouble with procmail v3.13.1: dot file locking

1999-05-25 01:51:51
Ralph SOBEK <sobek(_at_)irit(_dot_)fr> writes:
I have installed the new procmail v3.13.1 on our new mail server
running Solaris 2.7.  It configured itself as follows:
Now in general service for our users as local mailer under sendmail
8.9.3 I find the following when I do a `ps':

 1566 ?        S  0:00 procmail -f Herve(_dot_)Martin(_at_)imag(_dot_)fr -Y
-a  -d hameur
All these users have a .lock file on their main mailbox!  Is this
normal?  When I interrogate these procmail's with `truss' I get:

      fcntl(8,F_SETLKW,0x...)   (sleeping)

What is going on?  When I kill an above process, then the .lock file
disappears and the mail becomes "deferred".

That it's sleeping the fcntl() call means that the mailbox has a kernel
lock on it by some other process and procmail is waiting for it to be
released so that the kernel can give procmail the lock.  If your users
are using mailtool, then you need to compile procmail without kernel
locking, as mailtool holds onto the kernel lock for _way_ too long.  If
no one is using mailtool, then I would suspect a orphaned kernel lock:
a kernel locks with no process holding the lock.  These can only be
resolved by copying (not moving) the mailbox else where and then
removing the original file (all under a dotlock, of course).  Orphaned
kernel locks are _really_ rare (I last saw them between a Solaris 2.5
server and Irixi 6.2 clients), so I would guess mailtool is the problem.

P.S.  Normally I am subscribed to procmail-dev, but I am not receiving
anything.  Is it that quiet?

That last message before this thread was posted on the 11th of May.  It
really is fairly quiet right now.

Philip Guenther