3.11pre4 regexp bug?

1999-06-03 15:39:17

I am puzzled. The following conditions, which I thought were
equivalent, give different results. Here is the test harness and
output. The input file contains a header line with a single
space in it.

od output:

0000700    e   t   =   "   U   S   -   A   S   C   I   I   "  nl   C   o
0000720    n   t   e   n   t   -   T   r   a   n   s   f   e   r   -   E
0000740    n   c   o   d   i   n   g   :  sp   7   b   i   t  nl  sp  nl
0000760   nl  nl  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp  sp

Test harness:

  SHELL=/bin/sh
  MAILDIR=$HOME
  DEFAULT=|
  CRLF="
"
 :0
 * ^[   ]+$
 { LOG='Hit with ^$'"$CRLF" }
 :0
 * ^[   ]+^
 { LOG='Hit with ^^'"$CRLF" }
 :0
 * $[   ]+^
 { LOG='Hit with $^'"$CRLF" }
 :0
 * $[   ]+$
 { LOG='Hit with $$'"$CRLF" }
 :0
 /dev/null

Output:

procmail: [21077] Thu Jun  3 18:28:25 1999
procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=."
procmail: Rcfile: "./pmtest.rc"
procmail: Assigning "SHELL=/bin/sh"
procmail: Assigning "MAILDIR=/u4/rik"
procmail: Assigning "DEFAULT=|"
procmail: Assigning "CRLF=
"
procmail: No match on "^[       ]+$"
procmail: No match on "^[       ]+^"
procmail: Match on "[   ]+^"
procmail: Assigning "LOG=Hit with $^
"
Hit with $^
procmail: Match on "[   ]+$"
procmail: Assigning "LOG=Hit with $$
"
Hit with $$
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/dev/null"
procmail: Opening "/dev/null"
  Folder: /dev/null

--
Rik Kabel          Old enough to be an adult
rik(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com