Re: Why does this rule work?

1999-06-09 22:55:48
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:26:18 -0400, Randall Hopper <aa8vb(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Here's what appears should happen: each time a list msg is received,
.forward invoked procmail, we come in and munge the subject, forking
off a copy to formail, which attempt redelivery, .forward invokes a
second procmail, ... etc.

But it works OK (no infinite respawn).  Subject is munged, and the
message appears in the =dx.ml.new folder, as I'd originally intended.

What piece of knowledge am I missing here?
  2 items...
  1) The "delivery" is to formail, which spits output to stdout; it
does *NOT* launch a another email.  Without the "f" flag, the message
would disappear into /dev/null
  2) The "f" (filter) flag in the "delivery" action says to deliver
the headers or body or both ("h" or "b" or default) to formail; let
formail do its thing; then return the modified text back to procmail
and continue processing.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)interlog(_dot_)com> procmail spamfilter
http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm