procmail-3.13.1-maildir-1.i386.rpm

1999-06-11 17:34:28
Setup:
Single user dialup machine
Running Redhat Linux 5.2
sendmail-8.9.1-2
procmail-3.13.1-maildir-1

I just installed an updated version of procmail:
procmail-3.13.1-maildir-1

The mailstat component can only be run by root and has permissions:
ls -l /usr/bin/mailstat
-r-x--x--x   1 root   root    5940 Apr  6 09:10 /usr/bin/mailstat

Shouldn't this mean that any user can execute it?

But running it as user I get:
mailstat .procmail.log :
/usr/bin/mailstat: /usr/bin/mailstat: Permission denied

Before chmodding, I wonder if there is a reason for these permissions?

Running rpm -V on the newly installed procmail shows:

..5.....   /usr/bin/formail
..5.....   /usr/bin/lockfile
..5.....   /usr/bin/mailstat
..5.....   /usr/bin/procmail

Doesn't this mean that something has been altered to change the MD 5
checksum?  Is that normal?