MUAs that allow a .backward file

1999-06-26 14:24:48
This is only tenuously on-topic, but I'm asking here because I know nowhere
better to discuss .backward files, and the .backward file would, of course,
be a procmailrc.

For years I've been using Elm and mailx.  I'm looking for a new MUA.  The
chief requirements are that it have support for a .backward file and that it
can sort the display of a folder by subject.

mailx allows implementing a .backward file (set sendmail=/path/to/script
in .mailrc), and I use one with it quite successfully (a kernel that groks
hash-bang, procmail's -m option, and
  :0
  ! "$@"
are your best friends in the world of .backward files), but mailx has no way
to sort the display of a folder, so it is helpless for grouping by subject
when you're reading the folder for a busy mailing list.

Elm will sort the display but it has no hooks for a .backward file unless
one recompiles it to think that the .backward script is the MTA; but then,
as a user on an ISP, one is stuck, because Elm doesn't autoconfigure: when
you build Elm, you get a long quiz of configuration questions that only an
administrator can answer.

Pine can sort the display, and I'm told it can post-filter the *body* of an
outgoing message, but it has no hooks for a true .backward file that knows
the headers and positional parameters as well.

Mutt probably can do both, but my life is too stressed these days and my
chances to get some quiet and do any concentrating too few, too brief, and
too rare for me to tackle its learning curve.  At least, for the first time
in years, I have room in my disk quota for it!

Right now it seems that I have to open the folder in Elm, sort by subject,
tag all, save to another folder, and then read the new folder with mailx.
Uckyay.

Any advice?  Any suggestions (serious and constructive ones, please post;
silly or facetious ones, please keep to yourselves unless they're really
clever) for another forum where I could ask for advice about MUAs that
support the post-processing of a .backward file?