Re: Outgoint archive [was] Re: Delivered-To: [adding it]

1999-07-21 06:53:29
"Harry" == Harry Putnam <reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com> writes:

Harry> "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)Mcs(_dot_)Net> writes:

Harry Putnam explained,

| I wanted an archive of my own outgoing e-mail messages. Nothing
more | nothing less.

Usually that is something done by the mail user agent (in Harry's
case, apparently some feature of Gnus), not by the mail transport
agent nor the mail delivery agent.

I could set Elm and mailx to save copies of all my outgoing mail
that I use them to dispatch.  Neither procmail nor sendmail would
be involved.

Harry> Any changes wrought by sendmail then, would not be present.

Harry> Yes, of course I have that capability with gnus.  Or most other
Harry> mail software.

Harry> None show how the mail looks after my local sendmail is done
Harry> with it and is therefor not all that useful in debugging mail
Harry> problems, unless the problem is in the mail reading
Harry> software. My interest is in archiving outgoing mail as it
Harry> appears when leaving my machine but before my ISPs SMTP machine
Harry> gets in on the act.

Not sure; probably you've already solved your problem: but couldn't
you simply cc: to yourself?  Of course your sendmail would have to be
set up sanely so local mail doesn't go out to the ISP.

--
<itz(_at_)transbay(_dot_)net> general personal mail
<itz(_at_)prosa(_dot_)it> gpm (and|or) other free software (co)?maintained by me