Re: Generating bounce messages

1999-08-08 07:39:22
On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 17:53:46 -0400, Jeff Gordon <jeff(_at_)gordon-net(_dot_)com>
wrote:
When an email comes in to dummy(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com, I want to be able to
generate bounce messages that say User Unknown, and I believe the
error message number is 550. But I don't know the "correct" way to
generate the standard bounce messages. Could someone please provide
me with help on a recipe for this?

At the risk of getting tiresome, the "correct" way is for your MTA to
notice before Procmail even gets invoked. If you are using Procmail to
decide who a message is for, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

(Disclaimer for case where you get mail with Delivered-To: but you
should still probably use Sendmail before Procmail if you want local
aliases to work etc etc.)

Meanwhile, if Procmail is being invoked from Sendmail, you can fake a
"user not found" with EXITCODE=67

Have you looked at the FAQ? <http://www.iki.fi/era/procmail/mini-faq.html>

/* era */

--