Re: missing cat data

1999-10-01 09:04:22
As usual, David is correct.  I clearly haven't been writing enough
shell code lately, although this might not be a bad thing, given how
far I've fallen.

Incidentally, ZeroKnowledge is a privacy company, so named in part as
a pun on the cryptographic concept of Zero Knowledge Proofs, but also
because we make substantial efforts to not learn personally
identifying information about our customers.  Its not a comment on my
programming skills. :)

Adam

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 04:25:37PM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Thanks to Era and Adam for explaining the sed code to Dave.  Adam wrote,
though,

| The '' is used
| around ^$/ to avoid risk that the shell will try to expand out $/,

Actually, no.  $/ is not a valid variable name, so it would be left alone
inside weak quotes.  I used strong quotes on the first -e argument because
I usually do around command line arguments that need quoting, in case there
is something that would get altered inside weak quotes.  In that particular
case, weak quotes would have worked equally well, as Era said.

(Don't you just love Adam's domain name?)