Re: Procmail forwarding problems

1999-10-13 14:08:26
At 10:04 -0500 13 Oct 1999, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)Mcs(_dot_)Net>
wrote:
No, that is a bad thing, and I'm sure that after I explain, you won't want it
any more.  The way ~/.forward works is wrong.  Very likely there is a better

isn't working [because mail will just bounce back to him/her].  You can fix
the forwarding (or turn it off until the destination address is accepting
mail again), but with the bounces going back to the original senders you
don't find out; you just wonder why nobody is writing to you any more.

Well, if the envelope sender is changed to the account with the
.forward, then the bounce will probably bounce as well and nobody will
know that there was a problem.  I've even seen situations similar to
this cause bounce loops (very ugly).

However, if the forwarding site doesn't change the sender at least
someone should find out about the problem, and the person doing the
forwarding can find problems by sending mail to {him,her}self.

Now, this isn't as big of a concern when doing conditional forwarding
with procmail, since conditions can be put in to work around the
problems that I stated.

As for how to preserve the envelope sender when forwarding with
procmail, here's an example:

:0
! -f "$MATCH" address(_at_)other(_dot_)domain

--
Aaron Schrab     aaron(_at_)schrab(_dot_)com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 When we aren't plundering and wreaking havoc,